Sunday, March 17, 2013

Shilla

I have a rule against eating Asian food in America, because I can get it so much better back home, but I'm willing to break my rule at Shilla. This place has three floors, so you literally never have to wait for more than five minutes. It also helps that the other Korean places on West 32nd are overrated, so everyone in K-Town crowds in Woorijip or Gallery 32.


You know it's a legit Korean restaurant when they have terrifying, threatening signs like these:

"Shilla is NOT a playground or daycare. Please watch your children.
We check ID from EVERYONE. It's the LAW!"


They're very generous with the variety of small dishes, but whether the wait staff is willing to refill them, really depends on their mood.


We got the house special marinated beef ribs--kalbi or galbi, I can never tell the difference. Anyway, the beef is so juicy and flavorful, but a little on the salty side, so I eat it over rice (I never trust NYC restaurants' raw lettuce, and Shilla's looks a little limp and brown). It is quite a pricy item--about $30 for one portion that can feed two skinny Asian girls--but it is worth the occasional splurge.


My main dish was duenjangjigae--soybean paste stew--the pronunciation of which I've perfected, thanks to having ordered this a million times. This version is one of the better ones I've tried; it's very, very savory and not too thick, so you can drink it as soup. The ingredients are also a lot more appealing than some other ones I've had, with zucchini, potatoes, and tofu. There's also onions and some questionable shreds of beef in it, but I'm guessing they're only in there for flavor, because they're cooked to death and don't taste great on their own.


Overall, Shilla is kind of a pricy place, so come with a large group if you plan on getting barbecue. It does have great, authentic Korean food and fun drinks (yogurt soju, anyone?) so it can be worth the occasional fun night. The best part about Shilla, though, is that it is one of the few Asian restaurants in Manhattan where the waiters will not ask you for additional tip, which is really tacky. Two years ago some friends and I went to a different Korean place on the block, and we were literally chased out after leaving only 12% tip. I doubt they serve Chinese people anymore.

Shilla Restaurant
37 W 32nd St.

No comments:

Post a Comment