Saturday, September 7, 2013

Pies n Thighs

Omg guys, this is literally the third time I've ever eaten in Brooklyn. It's not that I'm a Manhattan snob, but the abundance of ombre hair and visible belly buttons is a little much for me. But I figured, if it's really bad, then I'll have a legitimate reason to hate Brooklyn.


The chocolate cake doughnut is quite large and really heavy. It's not very sweet, which is nice, but it's really not a special or particularly great doughnut. I think it's also important to note that when I took it home, the grease from the doughnut soaked through the wax paper and into my purse--it's like a sponge soaked in oil.


When I saw how small the chicken biscuit was... I almost thought it was a joke--it's pretty much the same size as the doughnut. It's a fried chicken cutlet sandwiched in a biscuit, and then it's all smothered in hot sauce (which is just wing sauce) and honey butter. The chicken is actually really crispy and moist, but there was barely any chicken! The biscuit is so fluffy, but the bottom of it was so hard, I really couldn't saw through it. Overall, it wasn't bad, but I wish the hot sauce came on the side (or maybe just have less of it) because it's so strong and it becomes the only thing you can taste.


Of course it would be illegal to go to a place called Pies n Thighs and not get pie. I got a slice of bourbon pecan to go, and I was really disappointed. Although the filling was quite nice, the crust was really thin--and what little of it there was, was really greasy.

Another thing about this restaurant is that it doesn't feel very clean. I sat right next to the fridge and saw this:



... which is really gross.

Overall, I give this restaurant just an average rating. The pastries are just fine, but I can definitely see the other fried chicken dishes being really good. Get everything to go; after you see the state of the fridge, everything around you starts to feel sticky.

Pies n Thighs
166 S 4th Street
http://piesnthighs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment