Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Banh mi at Lee's Sandwiches

If you've ever eaten with me, you would know that it's very difficult to choose a place where I am willing to eat, because I have an immense fear of anything pickled. Since I was a small child, I have never eaten kimchi, pickles, or sauerkraut. I've recently realized it's because of the idea of eating something cold, soggy, and moist--I imagine it's like eating a very sour wet sponge. However, as I've tried more and more foods that I've disliked as a child and discovered that they're delicious (like eggplant), I decided to suck it up and try banh mi.


The take-out bag has a list of things you can
do with the bag, which I thought was really cute

Banh mi is a Vietnamese sandwich: a baguette with pickled carrots and radish, jalapeno, cilantro, and some kind of meat--I got grilled pork (I also recommend the barbecue pork). The carrots and radish were not soggy at all--they were still really crisp, but the pickling just adds a bit of briny flavor. The pork was really good as well; it's really tender--almost creamy--and very intensely savory. The best flavor, though, is the raw jalapeno. Besides the intense heat of the seeds, the pepper itself has so much kick and flavor. Overall, it was such a well-balanced, refreshing sandwich.


So I learned that pickled things can be good. Life is full of surprises.

Also, I've just launched my new beauty blog, Victoria C. Beauty! Please check it out if you're interested in makeup and beauty tips :)

Lee's Sandwiches
939 W El Camino Real #108, Sunnyvale, CA
http://www.leesandwiches.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment